Pros of tooth-coloured braces
- This type of fixed brace is much less noticeable than a conventional metal fixed ‘train-track’ brace, and now even the wires can be tooth-coloured instead of metal.
- As each part of the ceramic brace is independently fitted to your teeth in the practice, any problems with breakage or modification required during your treatment can normally be easily and quickly rectified.
- Treatment with a tooth-coloured fixed brace should take no longer than the time a metal brace would take for the same treatment.
- This type of cosmetic appliance is the most affordable option we currently provide. Please contact us if you require more information on the cost of ceramic braces to improve your smile.
Cons of tooth-coloured braces
- The majority of these ceramic tooth-coloured braces require tiny elastic bands (which create the colour options on a conventional metal brace) to keep the main archwire in place. Whilst the individual brackets on a ceramic fixed brace maintain their colouring in almost all cases, unfortunately the elastic bands may discolour with tomato puree, curry or red wine. However the elastic bands are changed on a monthly basis.
Recently developed ‘self-ligating’ tooth-coloured braces do not need elastic bands to keep the wire in place, hence the discolouration is not a problem. We will be happy to provide a demonstration of either ‘Damon-Clear‘ or ‘Inovation-C‘ clear braces to illustrate this option to you.